Thursday, September 11, 2008

Lost in my work

For the last 5 months, I have posted 73 albums and over 1000 photos on Picasa, the actuation of my 40D has reached 110k since Dec. 2007.... Ya, I have taken alot of photos and I'm proud to say my skills in photography has improved steadily (both composition and post processing). Checkout the photos I have picked for the green club I joined. Or my first half 2008 picks



However, when I asked a friend of mine to check out my 2007 picked album, he provided a very important insight that I wholeheartly agree on. "... Your 2008 pics had better images over all, prettier ones to be sure. This album is much more personal and has deeper meaning. The other one has pretty pictures, this one is much more thought provoking. I love the captions you added to share a piece of your thought/emotion. ..."

Yup, I have made myself technically a better photographer.. but have I lost the inner drive that made me started photography at first place? Am I going to be fall in the same fate as many of the "pro" photographers who lost their passion after doing it so much?

I hope not! :P

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I hope you don't loose it... your photos have been an inspiration to me :). I think it is easier for some pros to loose their passion due to it being their job... they are forced to take pictures a certain way to make a living (i.e. some people are forced to be wedding photogs when thats not what they really want). Think back to when you first started... what made you pick up that camera in the first place? Rediscover that feeling again. Maybe this weekend and wedding would be good for you. Shooting photos of friends for their happiest occasion can sometimes restart your passion right? I hope it does for you :)

Alexander S. Kunz said...

[First - glad that I found your blog!]

I think its a natural process. With increasing photographic skills, you're more selective with your own pictures, often choosing photos that you value because of some technical difficulties the "average visitor" of your albums won't see. I think that eventually, you will reach a level where your images are both technically interesting and appealing to the average viewer (at least thats what I hope for my own photography! *grin*). It just takes time.

Joe Kuo said...

Thanks alot for the comment guys! I'm sorry my frequency of checking the blog isn't high...

Anyway,
Ping: Maybe I really just have taken too much photos ;), I should really take a break soon..

Alexander: thanks for commenting :), I wish someday I will be reaching the level you described.