Thursday, September 11, 2008

無常, 業火, 道德 (1 month later)

Once again, I left this blog untouched for months... :/

I had a post that I wish to post but forgot to, it's about the fire I had experienced in first hand back in end of July, quite a shocking and traumatic experience (more so for the families involved).

Below is the recap of what I have drafted in my album:

From 無常, 業火, 道德


This is probablly one of my most shocking moment in my life, I'm put this album togegther not just for people to view but actually hoping to serve as a reminder to me and those who see this life can be so unpredictable and terrible things can happen so quickly.

On 3:30am on Saturday morning, I was awoken by the increasing loud cracking noises which I initiatially thought was rain and my room is turning orange bright. When I look out the window I saw the house in front of me is bright on fire... I fumbled for phone to dial 911 and ask for help of fire department. During my panic and some confusing moment, I grabbed my camera, and my dogs out to the car and drove to a safe distance from the scene... then I continue to take photos... the fire quickly engulfed first house and jumped on the trees on the side to the roof of the neighbour. The fire went on for almost an hour before it got under control, by the time, both house are destoried and 2nd house's owners were just standing there helplessly watching their house destoried by the fire. The first house's resident wasn't so lucky.... the children were taken by ambulance due to suffication to the smokes. I later found out a few heros who passed by resuced the mother & children from 2nd floor strained on second floor.

Early next morning an fire investigator came to my house and asked for information of what I saw, I relay what I saw and went to scene with him to go describe in detail what I saw fire originated. I gave him all the photos I have and he told me it was a very usful evidence about how & where fire started. Ever since then... I'm actually became quite confused and questioned my own behavior during that night. If I didn't grab my camera... cloud I have been more helpful? Am I morally correct in trying to take down all these photos?? Damn I'm confused...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That... is a confusing moment you have there.... It's hard to say if what you did is right or wrong. What could you have done though? If you dropped your camera and ran in there, would you have gotten in the way, and needed the fire fighters to actually help you out? Who is to say... BTW, do you have any update on the situation with the family or house?

Joe Kuo said...

Unfortunely, ever since the Arson Task Force came to the investigation, i wasn't able to get more info of the cause of fire. Suffice to say though, the task force was here for 2 days, so that would suggest some foul play involved...

As for the families, I think they are getting better now, although the houses are still fenced and nothing has changed. Also the security is still here 24hr/day since the fire.