Wednesday, September 17, 2008

First portrait session

*Bleh, my photo links keep on disappearing because I have sync the Web Album..

So, on Saturday I had the wonderful opportunity of shooting for my friend, William and his fiancee Irene. This will be the gift for their engagement/wedding. And the photos I shoot will be on the slideshow during their wedding! As this was the first formal portrait shoot ever for me since I started DSLR, to say I had the pressure is an understatement!!

To be prepared for the coming date, I had went over all over most of the works of my favourite wedding photographers (ie. Hasass & Albert Chou), scramble to test out working of flashes as fills, and several visits to the potential sites that I will shooting. The day has come, we started early as morning light is softer and is angled for easier manipulation. We encountered problems immediately as the site I have chosen was blockaded off by the policy for a emergency situation.

So I choose the next best alternative for the shots I wanted in a nearby location. The beginning was very rough, as I was very nervous and the couple were not used to me in their way.

From William & Irene Engagement


But as we arrive in the location in second set, Minoru Park, things got alot better, by this time I am much more at ease with shooting portraits and the couple really were great with each other, most of the time I would just ask them to be in the location where I want them to be, and a few postures I would like to see, they would start from there.
From William & Irene Engagement


From William & Irene Engagement


Also, I have tried a couple Story telling sets on several spots
From William & Irene Engagement
The couple watched the bride and groom stepping out from the Chapel
From William & Irene Engagement
William can't wait to drag Irene to Chapel afterward

From William & Irene Engagement
The couple playing hide and seek

From William & Irene Engagement
Fun continues

Overall, I am rather satisfied with the results of first day, despite some heavy criticism from some of my friends about engagement photos should be about love not child play. I still believe this captured the couple's fun characters. In the future, I will have to pay alot more attention to the postures and minor details of the couple. Afterall, portraits is new and a foreign territory for me.

PS. The second shoot at dusk actually went very wrong, I wasn't able to coupe with the dominate light of dusk, and the couple's dress were way to casual to work with.
I should avoid dusk as part of my set until I'm able to figure how to make use the light.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I think overall you did great. A lot of good shots that really captured their personality, and I think thats what is important. I am sure they will treasure these photos a lot more than professional photos (even if they are better) just because YOU took them. Good job!